The State of Social Enterprise 2024 is the first, comprehensive global data set to estimate the size and scope of social enterprise worldwide. The data informs policymakers about the contribution of social enterprise towards sustainable development, and priorities to improve the enabling conditions for the sector.
The main highlights are:
- The State of Social Enterprise 2024 is the first, comprehensive global data set to estimate the size and scope of social enterprise worldwide.
- There are around 10 million social enterprises globally, united by the principle of putting purpose before profit.
- Social enterprises are generating around $ 2 trillion in revenue each year while creating positive impact. The sector is larger than the $1.57 trillion apparel industry and twice the size of the $875 billion advertising industry.
- Social enterprises are creating 200 million jobs across various sectors, from agriculture to financial services.
- 50% of social enterprises around the world are led by women, compared to 1 in 5 conventional enterprises.
- There are signicant gaps in the available data on social enterpirse, with only 70 countries having some kind of data. For a more accurate understand of the sector, there is a need for globally aligned research, with more consistent definitions and methodologies and a strong data governance framework.